[FFmpeg-user] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: Handling uyvy files has changed.

Thomas Worth dev at rarevision.com
Tue Sep 4 10:51:24 CEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 12:21 AM, Tim Nicholson <nichot20 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 03/09/12 22:49, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>> Tim Nicholson <nichot20 <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> As the parameters were in a script (to avoid inconsistencies due to
>>> typos) ;) I know it wasn't a one off, but to be honest as its working
>>> now I am more curious as to why the 4CC lists the vectors in the wrong
>>> order compared to the way they are packed, it seems a tad inconsistent!
>>
>> (I may be wrong but I suspect you just found out how 4CCs are
>> defined.)
>> I just tested (again) to encode uyvy422 rawvideo to mov using
>> current git head and an ancient version: In both cases, it worked
>> as expected with -vtag 2vuy and did not work without -vtag.
>>

> I have never got it to work without the vtag, but as per below with the
> wrong vtag on the revision I previously mentioned, but not with the
> wrong vtag on more recent builds.

If I recall correctly, the default vtag/FourCC for 4:2:2 UYVY in
FFmpeg is "HDYC," which is the FourCC for the AVI format. However,
QuickTime/MOV uses "2vuy" which is why the MOV muxer fails when you
don't force the vtag to "2vuy." In fact, Blackmagic released a simple
app a while back called "FourCC Changer" for Mac that did nothing but
change the FourCC from HDYC to 2vuy in case you wanted to open a
Blackmagic 8 bit uncompressed AVI in a QuickTime application.