[FFmpeg-user] Burning timecode into mov file

Tim Nicholson tim.nicholson at bbc.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 08:44:56 CET 2012

On 03/02/12 19:02, bartom wrote:
> Thanks for your reply and pointing this out. I see now.
> I ran the  command:
>
> ffprobe -show_packets  test.mov
>
> and in the  output of this command containing all the packets, there is only
> a single packet of the timecode stream (all the rest are audio and video
> packets). [....]

This is normal for ffmpeg, which only supports a "first frame" timecode
and a rate. In fact some containers (mov, mxf and gxf?) support frame by
frame timecode tagging allowing for discontinuities. However there are
very few applications that can make use of this, and in particular every
NLE I have come across works the same as ffmpeg.

--
Tim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/