[FFmpeg-user] feature request/suggestion: make the server and ffplay into sink filters :)

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 01:36:23 CEST 2011

On date Friday 2011-10-28 09:06:37 -0600, Roger Pack encoded:
> Hello.
>
> Now that ffmpeg has high quality filter ability with libavfilter, I
> was thinking...
> it would be great if at some point you could basically do the
> equivalent of the following:
>
> Split an input stream, send it to a "file" output as well as to a
> "server" output, or optionally also to a "view" output (ffplay).
> Kind of combining all of the various output options into sinks.
>
> Or maybe this is already in the works?
> This would allow me to not have to revert to VLC if, for instance, a
> users wants to view a stream as it is encoded (which some do).

Yes, this should be achievable through a movie sink, I wrote a
snapshot sink some time ago which could be use a basis for this.

And we have already an SDL output format, although it's quite limited
and I wanted to implement other ones (based on libe/GTK/QT) but never
found the magic combination of time/motivation for actually working on
it.

You may want to add a feature request on trac, describing a detailed
use case scenario if you feel like so.