[FFmpeg-user] Split video frame accurate respecting GOP's

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 21:47:06 CEST 2011

> The -ss and -t solution makes me feel a bit uncomfortable as it not really
> "under control".

If you pass them a timestamp that coincides with a GOP i-frame marker,
then you're "under control" :)

> Using ffprobe as for pre-parsing and then passing those numbers to
> ffmpeg is currently not possible, and additionally, in our case, it
> would add tremendous processing times, as we're dealing with several GB
> of FFv1/PCM encoded lossless videos.

I don't think ffmpeg does "on the fly smart cutting" like this.
Mencoder does, if you re-encode the entire video.
A few others do, but they're pretty sparse.
I made a list once.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjWmZ0umsuZHdHNzZVhuMTkxTHdYbUdCQzF3cE51Snc

I could come up with a wrapper to ffprobe that might make it possible
to cut more precisely, if desired.
If not then somebody will have to hack the ffmpeg core to make it
precise cutting aware.
-roger-