[FFmpeg-user] Split video frame accurate respecting GOP's

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Tue Oct 25 18:42:43 CEST 2011

me at renecalles.de wrote:
> The critical part is to pass frame numbers to ffmpeg, as i understand
> frame accurate seeking is not possible in ffmpeg.
I also require frame-accurate seeking/cutting in ffmpeg [1], but if I
understood correctly, it has something to do with the fact that some
containers are impossible to seek by frame.
Using ffprobe as for pre-parsing and then passing those numbers to
ffmpeg is currently not possible, and additionally, in our case, it
would add tremendous processing times, as we're dealing with several GB
of FFv1/PCM encoded lossless videos.

The GOP-aware cutting of lossy codecs would be great, but how
should/could the splitting of lossy audio be handled?

Regards,
Pb