[FFmpeg-user] From mpeg2 to mpeg4

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Mon Oct 24 22:21:06 CEST 2011

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 21:45:55 +0200
Lorenzo Travaglio <lorenzo.travaglio at fastwebnet.it> wrote:

> On 24/10/2011 04:55, Lou wrote:
>  >> Unknown encoder 'mp3'
>  >
>  > The MP3 encoder is "libmp3lame". The decoder is called "mp3". You
>  > can see a list of encoders and decoders with: ffmpeg -codecs.
>  > Unfortunately, you skipped the "Install LAME (optional)" section
>  > in the compilation guide, and therefore you do not have libmp3lame
>  > support.
>
> I am sure to have entirely followed the guide, however I tried again.
> The result of checkinstall was:
>
>   Done. The new package has been installed and saved to
>
>   /home/lorenzo/lame-3.99/lame-ffmpeg_3.99-1_i386.deb
>
>   You can remove it from your system anytime using:
>
>        dpkg -r lame-ffmpeg

You may have installed the lame package, but your ffmpeg configuration
did not include --enable-libmp3lame. The guide says, "If you follow
this step, add --enable-libmp3lame to the ./configure line in step 7."

> and the result for ffmpeg -formats for mp3 says:
> DE mp3             MPEG audio layer 3
>
> while the result for -codecs as you suggest is D A for MP3 (E is
> missing)
>
> Where did I go wrong? (as Sinead O'Connor said)
>
> Thank you
> Lorenzo

The MP3 encoder is named libmp3lame. So when you view the output of
-codecs look for libmp3lame.