[FFmpeg-user] From mpeg2 to mpeg4

Lorenzo Travaglio lorenzo.travaglio at fastwebnet.it
Mon Oct 24 21:45:55 CEST 2011

On 24/10/2011 04:55, Lou wrote:
 >> Unknown encoder 'mp3'
 >
 > The MP3 encoder is "libmp3lame". The decoder is called "mp3". You can
 > see a list of encoders and decoders with: ffmpeg -codecs. Unfortunately,
 > you skipped the "Install LAME (optional)" section in the compilation
 > guide, and therefore you do not have libmp3lame support.

I am sure to have entirely followed the guide, however I tried again.
The result of checkinstall was:

  Done. The new package has been installed and saved to

  /home/lorenzo/lame-3.99/lame-ffmpeg_3.99-1_i386.deb

  You can remove it from your system anytime using:

       dpkg -r lame-ffmpeg

and the result for ffmpeg -formats for mp3 says:
DE mp3             MPEG audio layer 3

while the result for -codecs as you suggest is D A for MP3 (E is missing)

Where did I go wrong? (as Sinead O'Connor said)

Thank you
Lorenzo