[FFmpeg-user] Woah, can I not change frame rate with 1:1 mapping?

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sun Oct 23 10:17:12 CEST 2011

Le primidi 1er brumaire, an CCXX, Thomas Worth a écrit :
> I understand this. In fact, there is no such thing as frame rate with
> image sequences but -r still works with them.

Let me rephrase it: There is no such thing as frame rate or timestamps with
images sequences, *therefore* -r *has to* work with them.

> IMHO, if -r for input is not even implemented (instead giving an
> error), it should at least be enabled for containers that support
> frame rates like MOV or AVI. It's just so convenient.

Patch welcome.

> Yeah but we could just as easily override the input container's frame
> rate (or packet boundary) with -r if this was supported. The PTS
> filter is a bit hacky and subject to rounding errors, especially for
> fractional frame rates like 59.94, 29.97 and 23.976.

I am quite sure that the filter does the correct rounding and therefore does
not risk introducing errors. Of course, you have to use the correct number:
30000/1001 and not 29.97.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George