[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg issue

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Dec 11 23:00:36 CET 2011

Thomas Worth <dev <at> rarevision.com> writes:

> Just to prepare you, FFmpeg does not come with the following:

[edited for clarity]

> libmp3lame (MP3 encoding)
> libx264 (H.264 encoder)

> Again, legal issues as far as I know.

I may misunderstand you (and I have edited your message!), but please allow me
to repeat that there are NO legal issues that are the reason that "FFmpeg does
not come with" lame and libx264. Both are independent projects for the sake of
this discussion.
lame is simply older than FFmpeg (and uses the same license) and the (limited)
manpower of FFmpeg fortunately went into other tasks than reinventing this
wheel. The people who wrote x264 decided to do it outside of FFmpeg, please
search the mailing lists if you want to know more.

> libfaac (AAC encoder)

FFmpeg binaries (at least if linked against xvid/x264) may not be legally
distributed with libfaac support because libfaac is not free software and you
cannot fulfil the terms of the GPL for libfaac.