[FFmpeg-devel] git problems

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Thu May 30 02:30:09 EEST 2024

Hi all

It seems the security update (https://ubuntu.com/security/notices/USN-6793-1)
broke public git

We use gitolite that runs under its own user and serve git through apache
which runs under a different user.
Apache has only read access to the repositories

Since the security update that stoped working, the logs are full of messages
telling that we need to add the repositories to safe.directory
(the commands suggested dont work and seem to mix up \t with a tab but thats besides the point)
once the repository is added to safe.directory, which ive done with https://git.ffmpeg.org/michael.git
the error is gone and everything looks fine in the logs on the server but it still
doesnt work. (i have not touched ffmpeg.git config as i first wanted to test this)

So like i just said on IRC. i hope some of the other root admins will have
some more insight here. Or if you (yes YOU!) want to help or know something
please speak up.

This is totally not my area and i think other people could find the issue
with less effort in less time and it would be more efficient if i work
on FFmpeg instead where the return per hour of my time should be much greater.

Also gitweb and git over ssh seem uneffected and theres github

If people want i could downgrade git OR
upgrade git to latest git ignoring official ubuntu packages
otherwise, i intend to leave this for someone else to investigate and rather
work on FFmpeg which just seems like a much better use of my time

thx

I have never wished to cater to the crowd; for what I know they do not
approve, and what they approve I do not know. -- Epicurus