[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Ondřej Fiala ofiala at airmail.cc
Sat May 4 16:06:33 EEST 2024

On Sat May 4, 2024 at 3:11 AM CEST, flow gg wrote:
> I have tried git-send-email, but it failed. You can say that I am stupid,
> but I would say that this is because of various reasons such as my area and
> the network. It is really not what I can solve.
> Maybe I will spend a lot of energy trying it in the future, but this is
> because I have submitted thousands of lines of code. I don't want to give
> up. If it is from the beginning, it will cause abandonment.
>
> Maybe I am younger here in FFMPEG. I have a lot of good young people around
> me. They all use github/lab by default, and there will be the same problem
> as me, resulting in abandonment.
I feel it's worth pointing out that SourceHut and mailing list-based workflows
are becoming popular in some young-dev circles. I am in my twenties for
reference.

With that said, I did not realize how problematic setting up git send-email
can be with some providers when I wrote what you're replying to. The replies
quite surprised me honestly because when I first set up git send-email, I
was using completely average providers and it was all pretty effortless,
I just adjusted git's config and it worked perfectly.

> I don't really care about the quality between these tools. I think people
> are important. I only want to use it, and I can facilitate the real
> reviewer of Review.
>
> I don't know if I can say my personal feelings here, but I will say:
>
> I feel despised by this passage, which makes me uncomfortable. If you are a
> reviewer, maybe I have no chance to contribute, but anyway, I have made
> some contributions.
>
> > How can anyone use git, but not git send-email? Any decent email provider
> > has support for external clients over SMTP. And I believe you *can*
> > actually dictate that people don't attach patches -- if you have control
> > over the mailing list software, you can set up a filter that rejects such
> > emails and auto-replies with instructions on how to send them properly.
> I think I should have the right to contribute
Likewise.

Regarding the part about rejecting patches as attachments, I was specifically
reacting to Rémi claiming that he can't dictate that people don't use them,
which technically he can. I never said it's a good idea, though it might have
sounded that way. Sorry about that.

As I said multiple times, I feel like contributing over email is a lot about
having good tooling. For example, the email client I use treats all parts of
a multipart message the same, so it has no issues replying to text attachments
instead of the message body. As such, there is no difference between attached
patches and patches in the message body with such a client.