[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Fri May 3 16:54:14 EEST 2024

Hi,

On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 7:33 AM Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:

> Le 3 mai 2024 14:28:59 GMT+03:00, "Ronald S. Bultje" <rsbultje at gmail.com>
> a écrit :
> >Hi,
> >
> >On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 1:53 AM Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Le 2 mai 2024 21:38:13 GMT+03:00, "Ronald S. Bultje" <
> rsbultje at gmail.com>
> >> vittorio.giovara at gmail.com>
> >> accommodate

> >> I vehemently disagree with this.
> >>
> >> Unless you are volunteering to write such a tool, this is wishful
> thinking
> >> and the result is that we stick to the mailing list workflow.
> >>

> >Can you explain your disapproval? Is it that it needs work? Or money? Or
> do
> >you just think it's a bad idea? Or something else?
>
> There is no technical plan how that would actually work in practice, and I
> don't think it is even feasible. Not to speak of a realistic plan who would
> actually implement it and in what time frame.

To clarify: I myself much prefer gitlab's workflow and would use that if it
was available. I think providing a CLI-based workflow (which Anton and some
others have requested) is feasible and fair. If an email variant thereof
can be made and someone wants to fund it, I think that's reasonable. But it
shouldn't block allowing more people to convert to a gitlab-style workflow,
which I consider far superior over what we have now. End of clarification.

Ronald