[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Ondřej Fiala ofiala at airmail.cc
Thu May 2 22:42:13 EEST 2024

On Thu May 2, 2024 at 7:44 PM CEST, Vittorio Giovara wrote:
> On Thu, May 2, 2024 at 10:35 AM Ondřej Fiala <ofiala at airmail.cc> wrote:
> > > [...]
> > You will get similar selection bias anywhere else. Even if you handled
> > such a conversation on a discussion site, the technology powering such
> > site will influence what kind of people use it. While discussing this
> > here likely excludes people who don't know how to use a mailing list,
> > having such a debate on Reddit, for example, would exclude people who
> > don't use social media (anyone valuing their privacy and mental health),
> > etc. IMHO there is no way to avoid that.
> >

> I think the point is not where the bias is, but how to facilitate new blood
> in ffmpeg. While mailing list reviews may work well for you, there are
> hundreds of developers that won't even get close to FFmpeg because they
> cannot use git{lab,hub}, regardless of the pros or cons of email.
Yeah, that's true.

> I believe the path forward would be designing a system that can accommodate
> both workflows, a main git{hub,lab} interface which can send and mirror the
> discussion happening on the mailing list for those who prefer emails. Such
> a project would be another good use of SPI funds.
I can see the value in that; but I still feel like SourceHut has some valuable
features over the current setup: a unified interface, not having to sign up
anywhere to contribute or comment on issues, and a significantly friendlier
UI for the mailing list archive. I believe it should be considered even if just
as an upgrade for the "email people".