[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Thu May 2 20:44:22 EEST 2024

On Thu, May 2, 2024 at 10:35 AM Ondřej Fiala <ofiala at airmail.cc> wrote:

> On Thu May 2, 2024 at 4:20 PM CEST, Kieran Kunhya wrote:
> > > [...]
> > I feel it's a huge selection bias to have arguments about Gitlab vs
> Mailing
> > list handled on a mailing list.
> >
> > [...]
> You will get similar selection bias anywhere else. Even if you handled
> such a conversation on a discussion site, the technology powering such
> site will influence what kind of people use it. While discussing this
> here likely excludes people who don't know how to use a mailing list,
> having such a debate on Reddit, for example, would exclude people who
> don't use social media (anyone valuing their privacy and mental health),
> etc. IMHO there is no way to avoid that.

I think the point is not where the bias is, but how to facilitate new blood
in ffmpeg. While mailing list reviews may work well for you, there are
hundreds of developers that won't even get close to FFmpeg because they
cannot use git{lab,hub}, regardless of the pros or cons of email.

I believe the path forward would be designing a system that can accommodate
both workflows, a main git{hub,lab} interface which can send and mirror the
discussion happening on the mailing list for those who prefer emails. Such
a project would be another good use of SPI funds.
--
Vittorio