[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Cosmin Stejerean cosmin at cosmin.at
Thu May 2 20:17:55 EEST 2024

> On May 2, 2024, at 9:35 AM, Zhao Zhili <quinkblack at foxmail.com> wrote:
>
> I know a developer which have contributed to FFmpeg and stop doing so after
> losing his git-send-email environment.

I'm not surprised, getting git-send-email to work can be fairly daunting.

First you have to know enough about secure SMTP to know the difference
between ports 465 and 587 and properly configuring SMTP encryption in
git config (quick, which one is "tls" and which one is "ssl").

Then you may need to know enough about Perl to install some modules from
CPAN, for example I always need to install Net::SMTP::SSL on a new machine.

Lastly you need to figure out how to integrate git with keychain on your
particular platform to avoid having your email password in a plaintext file.

- Cosmin