[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Built-in documentation API

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Sun Aug 23 18:21:48 EEST 2020

Since the idea of documentation built in the libraries seems popular, I
have tried to outline an API to access it.

See the attached file.

The idea would be to have the build system convert the documentation
into a C file with initialization for one or several AVDocNode
structures.

Note that since all this must be in .rodata, we must get it right on the
first try, because of inter-libraries compatibility issues.

(Or we could force that only compatible versions of the libraries are
used.)

The most important question IMHO is which format we adopt for the doc in
the library. Even if we choose Markdown or RST to actually write the
doc, it can be converted into another syntax when converted into a C
file. Since built-in documentation is meant primarily for programs, I
think a strict and clearly defined small subset of HTML (which I call
FFHTML) would be a better choice.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George