[DVDnav-discuss] Problem playing (and ripping) DVDs created by Pinnacle Studio

Steinar Bang sb at dod.no
Sun May 15 12:17:08 CEST 2016

Platform: Intel i5, "skylake"
          debian GNU/linux 8 "jessie"
          vlc 2.2.1-1~deb8u1
          handbrake 0.9.9+svn6422+dfsg1-2
          libdvdnav4:amd64 5.0.1-1

I have recently been trying to play and rip some old family DVDs created
by myself back in 2007.

The DVDs won't play with vlc:
 - vlc just displays the menu an stops there
 - it is possible to navigate to other menu pages (when there are more
   than one)
 - clicking on a scene results in nothing

At the time when these DVDs were created (2007), they played fine in
vlc:
 - Clicking on an image in the DVD menu made that scene play
 - There was a menu in the vlc gui that listed all scenes/chapters, and
   selecting a scene would make it play

The DVDs also play fine on regular DVD players (i.e. the ones you
connect to a TV).

Handbrake doesn't find anything it recognizes as titles or chapters, but
ripping the individual VOB files works.

Is this a known issue?  Is it fixed in a newer version of libdvdnavn?

I've been googling for a libdvdnav issue tracker, but haven't found
one...?

The structure of the VIDEO_TS folder on these DVDs, looks like this:
  /media/sb/061022_1804/VIDEO_TS:
  total used in directory 4141692 available 0
  dr-x------ 2 sb sb        560 Oct 22  2006 .
  dr-x------ 3 sb sb         88 Oct 22  2006 ..
  -r-------- 1 sb sb      12288 Oct 22  2006 VIDEO_TS.BUP
  -r-------- 1 sb sb      12288 Oct 22  2006 VIDEO_TS.IFO
  -r-------- 1 sb sb      45056 Oct 22  2006 VIDEO_TS.VOB
  -r-------- 1 sb sb      83968 Oct 22  2006 VTS_01_0.BUP
  -r-------- 1 sb sb      83968 Oct 22  2006 VTS_01_0.IFO
  -r-------- 1 sb sb     311296 Oct 22  2006 VTS_01_0.VOB
  -r-------- 1 sb sb 1073739776 Oct 22  2006 VTS_01_1.VOB
  -r-------- 1 sb sb 1073739776 Oct 22  2006 VTS_01_2.VOB
  -r-------- 1 sb sb 1073739776 Oct 22  2006 VTS_01_3.VOB
  -r-------- 1 sb sb 1019320320 Oct 22  2006 VTS_01_4.VOB

(the small VOB files are animated parts of the DVD menu, I think.  At
least what the contain is menu stuff).

Thanks!

- Steinar