[DVDnav-discuss] frustration with rip-protected DVDs

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 16:07:56 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Bryan Henderson
<bryanh at giraffe-data.com> wrote:
>>If you're using Debian, I recommend http://www.debian-multimedia.org
>>as a good starting place.
>
> Thank you.  From what I can see from further reading, the answer to my
> question, "Is it plausible that nothing in Debian 5 is capable of reading a
> 2003 Sony movie DVD" seems to be yes, pure Debian can never read typical DVDs
> because for legal reasons, it doesn't include the decryption code.  (It's a
> pity the error messages are so far from saying that.  A typical one, from
> Gxine: "Error reading NAV packet".

If you have libdvdcss, libdvdread and libdvdnav installed (from any
source) then that's all there is to determining if your DVD will be
readable or not. Depending on where they came from they may be patched
differently, but everyone is starting from the same baseline.

Sometimes the frontends like xine can make bad decisions about how to
use the libraries, but you might as well just report your error here
and people can try to help with your specific issue. It certainly
sounds like you're having problems beyond the typical CSS issues.

--
Dan