[DVDnav-discuss] current revision strangeness

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Wed Aug 20 21:03:56 CEST 2008

On Wednesday, 20 August 2008 at 20:00, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 19/08/2008 alle 21.48 +0200, Dominik 'Rathann'
> Mierzejewski ha scritto:
> > On Saturday, 26 July 2008 at 14:55, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > > On Thursday, 15 May 2008 at 12:01, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Thinking back about this, you should've done the reverse, i.e.
> > > rename libdvdread copy in MPlayer source tree instead of our new
> > > upstream fork. Since there have been no releases in-between, we
> > > can still go back. What do you think, Nico?
> >
> > *ping*
> > Anyone else feel free to weigh in, too...
> >
> > Rationale is: we're the current upstream and we shouldn't break API
> > just because MPlayer's internal copy clashes with upstream. It's MPlayer's
> > copy that should be fixed, not the other way around. This renaming
> > has already caused additional work for other people.
> >
> > If there are no objections, I intend to revert the renaming in two weeks.
>
> sorry, I missed or forgotten your post. Do you want to rename
> libdvdread as dvdread?

Rename the include path from libdvdread/*.h back to dvdread/*.h, yes.
Note that libdvdnav similarly has dvdnav/*.h for public headers.

> why? dvdread is a LIBrary, I don't see why it shouldn't be called
> libdvdread.

I'm not suggesting renaming the library itself.

> It's also another way to distinguish it from the old code.

Why do you want to distinguish it from the old code? It's a fork,
granted, but it's the only actively developed fork, which makes
it upstream.

> Or did I misunderstand what you mean?

Apparently, at least partially. So, do you agree to put the include
path back to dvdread/*.h?

Regards,
R.

Livna http://rpm.livna.org | MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu