[DVDnav-discuss] libdvdnav vs. libdvdnav2

SciFi sci-fi at hush.ai
Mon Apr 30 19:05:10 CEST 2007

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:01:34 +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:55:16 +0000 (UTC) SciFi
> <sci-fi at hush.ai> wrote:
>
>> the xine-lib project needs libdvdnav2
> Uh? I'm working on libdvdnav, not libdvdnav2, for xine-lib-1.2... so I
> can't see how it can need libdvdnav2... as I didn't even know its
> existence.

I didn't know about the #2 version's existence either 6 months
ago, but IIRC either Nico or the "mplayer Diego" ;) told me back
during Christmas-time 2006 that's what was being used for mplayer
before it was internalised there-in.  And sho'nuf #2 is right
there side-by-side with the non-2 version in SF's CVS repo:
<http://dvd.cvs.sourceforge.net/dvd/>
And I've been staying up with #2 ever since.  ;)

> I know the version of libdvdnav in xine-lib is quite heavily modified,
> but that is the reason why I'm following this fork (and why I sent the
> patches that made sense to be sent).

In another thread on another list (mplayer-devel?) I was talking
about xine-lib-1.1.6 release.  I presume Nico's non-2 dvdnav fork
didn't remove/change any needed bits, as I had two different
problems during this past weekend when linking xine-lib against it:
(1) xine-lib configure didn't see it as >= 0.1.9 ("no") then chose
its internal version,
and then somehow'r'nuther I had another scenario:
(2) xine-lib configure did see >= 0.1.9 ("yes") but got missing
symbols during the link phase.
I had hoped Nico (to whom I was responding here) would have
remembered our other brief discussion on this same thing (I wasn't
this concise there either).  Sorry for mixing everyone else up,
should've mentioned all that here also.

Whenever I can find time to rediscover what I did, I will attempt
again to recreate those two problems and save the info for a
possible bug-report.  I'm also fetching bz2'd tarballs from the hg
server for the two main xine-lib development branches (1.1 & 1.2,
maybe these are mixed-up in my scenarios above) (saves me time
trying to build YA-SCM Mercurial & whatever else it needs myself).

While I have your eyeballs here, I am really hoping a dvdnav comes
out of this that works for _everyone_ -- that also means the VLC
projects, we can't forget them.  I do not like having libs that
are about 99% duplicates -- but if we must, we ought to fix
libdvdnav2 to have that as its -install_name vs. the non-2 name
for what you-all are working on.  ATPT we can't have both
installed due to "name clash".  And now Nico is adding more
complexity with the 'mini' version of libdvdnav.  ;)  Seriously
tho I wouldn't be bringing this up if I didn't stumble into the
two scenarios I mentioned above.
(hope I said all that right ... it's getting late here for me ;) )

Thanks for letting me discuss this.