[rtmpdump] Future of rtmpdump/librtmp

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Mon Jun 17 23:58:06 EEST 2024

Kai Pastor, DG0YT wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a contributor to the vcpkg repository. librtmp aka rtmpdump is packaged in vcpkg.
>
> This year's rtmpdump mailing list archives show something "tentatively" called version 2.6 but also the recommendation that "nobody should be using it any
> more." This is a little bit confusing.
>
> Will there be an official release 2.6 (preferably in the form of a tarball)?

Maybe. We haven't done tarballs in quite a long time. A git tag would be more likely.

> What is the recommendation on the proliferation of usage of librtmp/rtmpdump:
>  - accept new downstream references (such as adding an rtmp feature to the curl port in vcpkg),

curl support of librtmp has been around for many years already.

> - freeze the current status, or
> - actively delist it from registries (like vcpkg)?

The statement "nobody should be using this any more" is about RTMP itself.

Adobe officially killed Flash, as of December 31, 2020.

https://www.howtogeek.com/700229/adobe-flash-is-deadheres-what-that-means/

Flash was the only official client for RTMP. With that gone, there's no reason for anybody to
be using an RTMP server any more, and thus no reason for anyone to be using librtmp in any
clients any more.

--
  -- Howard Chu