[rtmpdump] [FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg/MPlayer/rtmpdump possibly searching for a new server and hosting

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Jul 17 23:00:07 CEST 2015

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 04:16:53PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 03:30:26PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> > On 15 Jul, Michael Niedermayer wrote :
> > > longer awnser,
> > > videolan IIUC would be willing to host some of our services
> > > on their existing server but this would require a "quite a bit" of
> > > work. videolan uses LXC we do not.
> >
> > Indeed, and there is a good reason for that, called security.
> >
> > > also videolan of course would have to agree to everything, its their
> > > server of course ...
> >
> > VideoLAN has very powerfull machines, connected in a correct datacenter,
> > with a contract, that will outlive any single member.
> >

> > Don't take it bad, but seeing the discussions, and the way you manage
> > your roots and services migration, you don't seem to care that much
> > about being correctly deployed, but to do it fast.
>
> iam not taking it bad but when you are being told your boxes could be
> shutdown without prior notice by the new managment, then yes you try
> to move fast, which is what we did.
> Not because thats a great thing to do but because it was needed

also speaking of that, id like to take the opertunity to thank everyone
who helped making that quick move to the current servers possible
That is at least alex, arpi, fabrice, beastd, kieran, reimar, roberto,
lou, tim,  ubitux and probably more who i have forgotten to list

In principle we could stay at these servers but i think its better
if we use the time available now to move things to some free,
higher end servers and hosting and also if possible (volunteers)
move to something like LXC or qemu/kvm in the process and have
services properly seperated

That would give us better servers, more robust hosting than what you
get with a 50euro/mo box. more security and at less cost.

[...]

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities
are wrong. -- Voltaire