[rtmpdump] Using rtmpdump for passive monitoring of Live RTMP stream

Jesper Weissglas jesper at journeyman.se
Sat Jul 5 21:10:09 CEST 2014

I'm working as a consultant to a large live streaming media provider. My
project involves monitoring encoder image quality.
I am trying to figure how to monitor a non-encrypted Live RTMP stream
that I am pushing to a CDN.
I would like to avoid putting a RTMP proxy between my encoder and the
CDN, since a proxy becomes a potential failure point.
I can easily configure my switches with a monitor port, so I can
passively sniff the TCP stream.
But I need to convert the sniffed TCP stream into something that I can
open in a player.

I was wondering if it is feasile to use librtmp (obviously with a bit of
hacking)  for this?
Can it made to understand a RTMP stream even if it has not been
negotiating the connection itself?
If so, can it be made to offer a new stream to VLC for example?
Any idea how much work it would be to achieve this for a reasonably
skilled developer?

/jesper