[rtmpdump] rtmpdump strange behavior

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Sat May 1 07:52:35 CEST 2010

FLX Solutions, LLC wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I've faced with strange rtmpdump behavior:
>
> rtmpdump -r rtmp://77.120.122.187/vod//shuster/2010/shuster_fr_20100423.mp4
> <http://77.120.122.187/vod//shuster/2010/shuster_fr_20100423.mp4> -o
> shuster_fr_20100423.mp4
> RTMPDump v2.2d
> (c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
> Connecting ...
> INFO: Connected...
> WARNING: Received FLV packet before play()! Ignoring.
>
> This is trunk version. Have the same problem with 2.2d.

rtmpdump is unable to parse the playpath correctly. You need to use
   -y mp4:shuster/2010/shuster_fr_20100423.mp4
to access this stream.

Like the manual page says (which you surely have already read, because you
would never be so careless as to post a question before having read all of the
available documentation...)

     Sometimes the rtmpdump URL parser cannot determine the correct playpath
     automatically, so it must be given explicitly using this option.

Files with ".mp4" suffix must get an "mp4:" prefix attached when talking to
the rtmp server. rtmpdump always does this automatically, so that isn't the
problem. The other problem though is that some servers require the suffix and
some expect the suffix to be removed, and there is no way to know in advance
what any particular server expects. rtmpdump always removes the suffix when
parsing, so it uses "mp4:shuster/2010/shuster_fr_20100423" if you just rely on
its built in parser. Which is why you must override it with the -y option.