[NUT-devel] attachments

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Jan 16 19:44:29 CET 2008

Hi

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 03:58:32PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 03:03:42PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> >> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >> [attachments]
> >>
> >> I'd use application streams and info packets referencing them.
> >
> > if you use streams then with the current spec you have a minimum of
> > 3 copies of the fonts
>
> why? I don't have 3x the frames in the video stream O_o?

as rich already said the header repeation rule ...
the extradata is in the stream header ...

If you would use normal packets instead of extradata it might disapear
if the file is split. Also Normal packets would need to be muxed before
the streams using them. And even if thats done they might not be available
during decoder init (which might happen before demuxing any packets)
The spliting problem could be dealt with by making the single frame have a
duration equal to the whole movie.

Now no matter if extradata or normal packet, this will cause problems with
seeking. As this is not a normal stream with frames one can seek to. Either
we would need to consider the duration of frames (thats a thing we apparently
ignored entirely) or ignore such attachment streams for seeking and back ptr
calculation.

So its probably possible to put it in streams, but its not clear if this is
the best solution.
If extradata is used we need
    * a special case for seeking/backptrs
    * a change to the header repeating rule
If a normal packet is used we need
    * a special case for seeking/backptrs OR ensure frame duration is handled
    * add a requirement that on file split, split keyframes end on both sides
      of teh split

[...]

It is not what we do, but why we do it that matters.