[NUT-devel] attachments

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Jan 16 14:57:45 CET 2008

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 02:17:22PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> How are attachments (cd cover image, fonts for subtitles, ...) supposed to be
> stored in nut?
> As i originally designed things, info packets should have been used. But
> after changes upon which some fanatically insisted info packets no longer
> are flexible enough. They are required to be repeated after every header and
> they can only apply to a single stream. Neither of these limitations was in
> the original design.
>
> So for 10 subtitle streams, we would need a minimum of 30 copies of all fonts.
>
> My original design could have stored a version of the font and still kept
> proper references so that it was known to the demuxer which streams the
> attachment applied to.

</rant>

i see many possible solutions.

1 just insist on seperate files

2 add n special info packets before the actual one containing the font
  each pointing to another subtitle stream and a
  "ContentInNextPacket" entry

3 like above but put these packets after the one with the content

1 is inconvenient for some types of attachments (like cd covers ...)
also it doesnt solve the O(n*m) issue. Of cours solving the O(n) issue
does mean less redundancy, but then loosing the cd cover or even the
fonts is better than loosing the main headers ...

[...]

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible. -- Voltaire