[NUT-devel] rfc drafting

Clemens Ladisch cladisch at fastmail.net
Mon Nov 19 16:27:43 CET 2007

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> and if you dont set them as keyframes you cant seek or how should the
> demuxer know it should ignore keyframe flags for a specific file?

It appears the exact definition of "keyframe" or "successful decoding"
is codec- and application-specific.

Since the only thing the nut format does with keyframes is to optimize
seeking to them, and since it does _not_ specify how codecs or
applications should behave when decoding, I think it would be good idea
if the definition doesn't rely on the meaning of "successful decoding".

In other words, a muxer uses a keyframe when it wants a demuxer to be
able to seek to it, but the determination of whether a frame can be a
keyframe is left up to the encoder/muxer.

Regards,
Clemens