[NUT-devel] questions about "Language" info packets

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Feb 13 22:44:57 CET 2007

Hi

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 03:36:34PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
[...]
> > > id say no
> >
> > So ISO 3166 is out, too?
>
> I'm against 2-letter codes. The number of languages is way too large
> for these codes to be remotely sufficient.

ISO 3166 is about country codes and about half of the codes from the 2
letter codespace seem to be used or reserved in some way ...

> > OK.  Proposed new description:
> >
> >     "Language"
> >         An ISO 639-2 (three-letter) language code, e.g. "eng" for English
> >         (see <http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php>).
> >         All codes defined in ISO 639-2 are allowed, including "und"
> >         (Undetermined), "mul" (Multiple languages) and the bibliographic/
> >         terminology variants.
> >         For historical reasons, demuxers MUST treat "multi" like "mul" and
> >         "" (the empty string) like "und".
>
> Historical reasons?? There are no such files, and this is a draft
> (albeit frozen) spec. I don't see any way that translating "multi" to
> "mul" and "" to "und" would improve functionality over just treating
> them as an unexpected value. If there's cruft in the spec that can be
> removed without really hurting anything, I'd like to remove it.

well then lets add a
"a muxer MUST ignore unknown language and country codes instead of treating
them as an error"

[...]

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad
people will find a way around the laws. -- Plato