[NUT-devel] questions about "Language" info packets

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Feb 13 14:15:08 CET 2007

Hi

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 12:38:35PM +0100, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> nut.txt says:
> |   "Language"
> |       ISO 639 and ISO 3166 for language/country code
>
> Does "ISO 639" mean ISO 639-1 or ISO 639-2?
> Are both codes required or allowed?  If yes, in what format?

that is a very good question, as the example below is a ISO 639-2 code
i think its clear that ISO 639-2 is allowed

furthermore there is a link
http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html
pointng to 639-2 but none to 639-1 so id say 639-1 is not allowed
also all 639-1 codes have a code in 639-2 while many 639-2 codes
do not have one in 639-1
comments are of course welcome ...

> |       something like "eng" (US English)
>
> When using a three-letter code from ISO 639-2, should a nut writer use
> the bibliographic or the terminology code?

that is also a very good question, i think none of us was aware that there
are 2 different codes for some languages (that is one based on the native
word for the language and one based on the english word) but luckily the
majority of the languages has just 1 code

> Are two-letter codes allowed at all?

id say no

> |       can be 0 if unknown
>
> Does this mean that there is no Language entry, or that it is an emtpy
> string, or that it is a string containing a zero byte, or that the
> string is "0"?

hmm ISO 639-2 contains a "und" for undetermined and nothing in our spec
forbids its use so iam tempted to say that "und" must/should be used if
unknown and applications must treat a empty string like "und"

> |       and "multi" if several languages
>
> ISO 639-2 already has "mul" for multiple languages.
> Does this mean that both "mul" and "multi" are allowed?

id handle this like above:
"mul" must/should be used if multiple languages but demuxers must
treat "multi" like "mul"

oppinions?, comments?

[...]

The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend
to be. -- Socrates