[NUT-devel] NUT documentation

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier at smartjog.com
Sat Oct 28 15:50:38 CEST 2006

Hi

Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Oded Shimon <ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 01:12:12PM +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
>>> So given a NUT file, how do you know which codec is used if there is
>>> no official list of codec IDs?
>> I dunno, how do you accomplish this right now with AVI? As far as support
>> goes, I'd say AVI is doing pretty well.. Even on set-op players...
>
> I thought we all agreed that AVI was a mess.
>
>> Now, believe it or not, coming up with a new system against the AVI mess,
>> makes the situation WORSE, not better, because players would have to
>> maintain multiple lists instead of one in order to support several
>> formats.
>
> Players already need one list per format.  Did you ever notice that
> mov.c has its own list?  Perhaps in an ideal world, each codec would
> have a unique identifier used across all formats.  That is not the
> world we're living in, and unless we can manage to change that, which
> seems very unlikely, we simply have to deal with what we have.
> Closing your eyes does not make the problem go away.
>
>> As for the actual list to put in the spec, for all I care you can grab the
>> list from riff.c and use that.
>
> The fact that you don't seem to care at all about an important part of
> the spec is what worries me.

I totally agree with Mans here, and I also really would like one and
only one official fourcc per codec supported in NUT, be either avi one
or mov one, and I would like to see it mentioned in the spec.

Also, for codecs using different wrapping method (mov vs avi), it would
be nice to mention the method that MUST be used in NUT, that's already
done for H264, and OGG, and that should be done for every codec, which
has more than one method.

As it seems that nobody wants to write it, I'll try to complete one
existing, or write a new one. Let's start something sane to build on:

Tell me if someone disagree with that:

1) choose common avi fourcc if it exists, then mov one, then choose one
2) mov fourcc if it exists predomines twocc.
3) use twocc (I would prefer not, but oh well...)
4) generic garbage fourcc (like mp4a) which are not unique for codec
will not be chosen.

Any other idea ?

SMARTJOG S.A.                                    http://www.smartjog.com
Phone: +33 1 49966312