[NUT-devel] NUT documentation

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Oct 28 02:21:52 CEST 2006

Hi

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 07:41:47PM +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
[...]
> What I'm asking for is a NORMATIVE description of the MEANING of each
> syntax element.  There is some hint at such a section in the so-called
> spec.  This should be expanded considerably.  Also needed is a
> detailed explanation of the interactions between different syntax
> elements, particularly frame_code and timestamp related things.

if you post a list of syntax elements which arent well documented
then ill try to fix it, but its hard for us who wrote this and know
what we had in mind to spot missing stuff

> Some notes on rationale are welcome too, but not strictly necessary.
>
> Now you may as well forget all this anyway.  Without a defined way of
> determining the codec for a stream, the format is useless.  As you
> have previously refused to do anything about this, I'm not pursuing it
> further.

i never had a problem with identifying codecs with fourccs, at least
not more then i had with the mpeg systems (chinese avs and ac3 come to
mind here) really i dont understand why you like one integer more then
another

the issue really is IMHO that every system which has been used in
practice to store many different formats has accumulated some mess
actually it seems that the number of formats used in practice and
the number of somewhat messed up cases (divx vs. mpeg4 for example)
is very highly correlated

so sitting down and designing yet another will likely achive nothing
either its not used by anyone or it will accumulate the same mess
as every other system, or how do you want to prevent that?
if you use strings instead of 32bit integers you will end up with
a much much bigger mess because people _can_ missuse it much better

[...]