[NUT-devel] codec id nonsense, please end it

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Tue Jun 20 22:10:30 CEST 2006

Rich Felker wrote:
[postpone discussion later, just complete version 1 now, fourcc is the
simplest solution.]

Ok, looks sane that way, BUT

[O(), tables, complexity, nobody will use our codecs]

No, having a codec table for nut isn't any different than what we have
already (see ogg, qt/mov, avi, mkv). So I'd like to have what iive
proposed for the next nut revision and that means that the fourcc field
should be changed now as codec_id and it should stay vb.
The next revision will add the options about encoder/producer and so on.

I know that doesn't sound fine, but

- somebody will bitch about complexity and bloat while it doesn't matter
at all and a month is needed to convince them to move from their
position (from past experience)

- avi fourcc and mov aren't that nice about tags as the proposed long
term solution.

lu

--

Luca Barbato