[NUT-devel] Freeze NUT, Flame FourCC

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Jun 16 15:45:09 CEST 2006

Hi

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 05:41:54AM +0300, Oded Shimon wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 08:16:03PM +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> > "Ivan Kalvachev" <ikalvachev at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > Before continuing flame,
> > > I would like to know if we are going to use fourcc, will we create our
> > > own list or just use the avi one?
> >
> > I believe the idea was to use a reduced avi 4cc list, that is with
> > only one code per codec.
> >
> > On a side note, I still think there is way to much fixation on the 4cc
> > thing in the first place, but that's probably just me...
>
> Resuming bikeshed topic.
> Warning, no replies within 7 days is taken as no complaints.

alternative suggestion:

fourcc
    identification for the codec
    MUST be <=4 bytes long
    SHOULD be made of alphanumerical chars
    the exact values are outside of the scope this spec
    if a codec specifies a prefered identifer which fits within the
    constraints of this syntax element then it SHOULD be used, if a codec
    is commonly using a identifer which fits within the constraints of this
    syntax element in another container format then that identifer SHOULD be
    used
    if there are several possible values to choose from then the one used
    in the source file if any SHOULD be prefered, if there are still several
    options left then the one with the most descriptive name SHOULD be
    preferred

[...]