[NUT-devel] Freeze NUT

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Jun 1 16:57:28 CEST 2006

Hi

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 10:06:24AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 01:46:46PM +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> >
> > Luca Barbato said:

> > > I like "vorbis" and "dirac" too.
> >
> > I'll second that as well.
>
> Opposed. The only reasons for using something "fourcc"-like at all are

i second your opposal
also things like "h.264" where proposed, while thats neither exactly what
the standard is called ("H.264") nor whats used anywhere else AFAIK:
(h264,avc)

another thing which hasnt been mentioned? is that the fourcc is in some
cases used to detect needed bug workarounds, iam not sure if thats important
enough for us to care about ...

then theres the remuxing thingy foobar->nut->foobar

some random ideas (dunno if good or not)
allow multiple codec identifers:
source fourcc (what the source in case of remuxing had)
long name ("Vorbis", "ITU H.264", ...)
simplifed fourcc (XVID,DIVX,FFMP4->M4V; ...)
and make one of these mandatory and put the other 2 in an info packet maybe

[...]