[NUT-devel] Fourcc spec

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Fri Dec 22 11:56:26 CET 2006

Hi
Time to kick a dead horse.... Or set it on fire or something.

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 01:43:33AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> well, before all the idiocity from mans and co, we simply added a fourcc
> to riff.c (avidec or enc or whatever it was back then) and that format
> could be muxed and demuxed in avi and every other format using the riff
> table, my idea was that nut would use that and only that table, sure
> it was my idea and not yours or odeds, but all the table split madness
> leaves me already with a longer todo list, or more specifically i now
> need to go through all codecs in lavc and add fourccs to riff.c for the
> ones which can be stored in avi as everyone who touches the table gets
> flamed by either mans or baptiste
> and nut seems to be on the way to double that work, if its table is
> split off sufficiently

I absoloutely understand your argument of not wanting to split the fourcc
table you have currently for AVI and other containers. However, I also
understand Mans' argument of the NUT spec having absoloutely no
specification of fourcc's/codec_id's. Unfortunatly, the only solution I
see that pleases the both of you is the silliest one - having "DX50" and
"\x55\x00" as official NUT fourcc's. - This is actually the current
situation, it is simply not explicitly official.

What solution do you propose for this? Ignore Mans' argument altogether
and leave the situation as it is? In a very simple example I saw where his
argument was useful - in my framecode generator for libnut based on
codecs. I would actually have to maintain complete lists to pick the codec
instead of a simple single test.

The general NUT habit so far was to ignore existing implementation
limitations...

- ods15