[MPlayer-users] can't play av1 codec video

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 29 16:49:50 EET 2021

On 2021-11-27 at 22:00, Masaru Nomiya wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried to play av1 codec file, but no video;
>
> MPlayer 1.2.r38327-7 (C) 2000-2021 MPlayer Team

> [lavf] stream 1: audio (aac), -aid 0, -alang eng
> LAVF: 1 audio and 1 video streams found
> LAVF: build 3820644
> VIDEO:  [av01]  1280x720  24bpp  29.970 fps  567.9 kbps (69.3 kbyte/s)
> [V] filefmt:44  fourcc:0x31307661  size:1280x720  fps:29.970  ftime:=0.0334

> Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x31307661.

This is the problem: the version of MPlayer, FFmpeg, etc., being used
was not compiled with a codec that recognizes this video-format
identifier, or knows how to play it.

This hexadecimal value corresponds to the four-character
video-format-identifier code ("fourcc") '10va'. Reading this backwards,
you get 'av01', which Google tells me is the AV1 video codec.

> I tested with the file which I got from;
>
> https://youtu.be/feSVtC1BSeQ
>
> But, vlc, ffplay, xine-lib, and kodi can play this flawlessly,

When I download that URL with youtube-dl, by default it gives me a file
which has a video stream with the fourcc '462H', which read backwards is
'H264', or the H.264 video codec.

By fiddling with youtube-dl options, I've managed to get it to give me
an AV1 version of the video. (I'd be a little curious how you did your
downloading, that it gave you the AV1 version by default; if you can't
get that format working, you might be able to work around the problem by
finding a way to get YouTube to give you a different one.)

My local copy of MPlayer (compiled from SVN, and from FFmpeg git, about
a month ago) is able to recognize the AV1 codec, and play the file
without issues.

I haven't done an exhaustive investigation, but the little digging I've
done so far seems to indicate that this AV1 support is being provided
via FFmpeg by libaom, which I have installed (on Debian) via the libaom3
and libaom-dev packages.

I don't know what platform you're on, but if you can get this codec to
be available (either by installing a version that already has it
compiled in, or by installing the necessary libraries and compiling
MPlayer and FFmpeg yourself), you should be able to have this work.

--
   The Wanderer