[MPlayer-users] Two quick problems and solutions when compiling on a new system

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Sun May 9 14:50:12 EEST 2021

Hello Scott,

On 09.05.21 03:58, Scott W. Larson wrote:
> For the first time in a long time I compiled mplayer on a newly loaded
> system (Fedora 34) and solved a couple of simple problems that might
> save someone some time and confusion.

Thanks for providing this information!

I have to admit that I feel a little bit confused by the term
"loaded."  This may be because I am not a native English speaker.
I think that I am not the only non-native English speaker
subscribed to this mailing list.  Thus I'll try to repeat the
content of your email in my own words.

Please let me and the mailing list know if my interpretation is
wrong.

I think you use "loaded" here in the sense of "loaded Fedora 34
on a computer."  What is often called "a fresh installation of
Fedora 34."

> It correctly detected that vdpau was present but the mplayer link failed
> with XGetWindowAttributes() missing. It used to be that you could add
> -lX11 to fix this, but that didn't work. The solution was to load the
> libXv-devel package.

This I understand as needing to install the libXv-devel package
provided by Fedora onto the Fedora installation.

> The OSD wasn't displaying. That was because the freetype-devel package
> wasn't loaded.

This I understand as needing to install the freetype-devel
package provided by Fedora onto the Fedora installation.

When compiling software, the files required for some
functionality are often provided in "-devel" (e.g.,
Red Hat) or "-dev" (e.g., Debian) packages.  To enable
the software that shall be compiled to make use of said
functionality, prior installation (or loading) of those
packages is required.

I think you did not initially expect to need the "libXv-devel"
package for VDPAU functionality, and to need the "freetype-devel"
package for OSD functionality.

I hope that I just re-stated the message of your email
in different words!

Thanks,
Erik