[MPlayer-users] Finding One's Place in a File

Martin McCormick martin.m at suddenlink.net
Sun May 2 16:40:29 EEST 2021

Erik Auerswald <auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de> writes:
> You can try (upper case) P for a short display of the position
> (progress through the file).  This worked for me for an MP3 file
> I used for a quick test.
>
> From the man page:
>
> """
>      Show  progression  bar,  elapsed time and total duration on
>      the OSD.
> """
>
> In my test the output for an audio file was in the terminal.
>

>             Another nice thing to be able to do is to have some value
>     representing the number of samples read to resume playback if the
>     playback is interrupted and one wants to resume at the same spot
>     again.
>

> The above gibes the position in second granularity.  You can use
> that information with the option "-ss".
>
> From the man page:
>
> """
> -ss <time> (also see -sb)
>        Seek  to given time position.  Use -ss nopts to disable seeking,
>        -ss 0 has different behaviour.
> """
>
> HTH,
> Erik

	Thanks very much.  I I actually did read the man page and
I think I got a bit confused as the uppercase P key does what it
should both on an mp3 file and on those unsigned audio files.
While the Pause key gives the position according to the progress
bar on the unsigned audio files, it does pause a mp3 file and,
when you type Space to resume play, it knocks one back to the
beginning of the file on mp3 recordings so upper-case P saves the
day.

	Somehow, I mistakenly thought that P was just another
Pause key.

Martin