[MPlayer-users] Error on GNUTLS when compiling MPlayer

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Sat Feb 13 21:19:52 EET 2021

On 2021-02-13 at 13:48, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

>> On 13 Feb 2021, at 19:40, Stephane Ascoet <stephaneascoet at free.fr>
>> wrote:

>>> Most likely, however, what you need to do is to configure
>>> MPlayer without '--*-gnutls' and review the config.log output to
>>> see why autodetection is failing, then see what you can do to let
>>> it find what it's looking for.
>>
>> I've done it initially. There was missing libraries for various
>> functions I need in MPlayer, so I've spent hours installing the
>> necessary packages. But for TLS support, there is only "no"
>> displayed next to "checking for GNUTLS", without any additional
>> information, so I have no clues at all to guess what's missing.
>> Could you give me some more of these last ones so I can go
>> forward?
>
> You need to check config.log, the parts relating to GNUTLS. It should
> say (in more or less cryptic messages) exactly why it says “no”
> there. Note that only one of OpenSSL and GNUTLS can be used, but if
> your issue is missing functionality that should not be the issue.

Specifically, you need to search config.log (when compiled with neither
'--enable-gnutls' nor '--disable-gnutls') for the string 'GnuTLS';
that's the way it's capitalized in the relevant location.

In my case, from the last time I compiled MPlayer (rather a while ago
now), I see:

============ Checking for GnuTLS ============

#include <gnutls/gnutls.h>
int main(void) { gnutls_global_init(); return 0; }

cc -Wundef -Wall -Wno-switch -Wno-parentheses -Wpointer-arith
-Wredundant-decls -Werror=format-security -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wdisabled-optimization -Wno-pointer-sign
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -std=gnu99
-Werror-implicit-function-declaration -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112
-D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600 -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -I. -Iffmpeg -O4 -march=native
-mtune=native -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-tree-vectorize
-fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables /tmp/mplayer-configure--24235/tmp.c
-fpie -DPIC -D_REENTRANT   -ffast-math -fpie -pie   -lncurses -lrt   -o
/tmp/mplayer-configure--24235/tmp -I/usr/include/p11-kit-1 -lgnutls -lm

Result is: yes

which tells me that the file it's looking for is named 'gnutls.h', in a
directory named 'gnutls'.

From there, if I run 'apt-file search gnutls/gnutls.h', I find that
there's a package named libgnutls28-dev, which contains
/usr/include/gnutls/gnutls.h. (Depending on which Debian repository
you're tracking, the package name may be different in your case.)

If the file were missing (such that the configure result had been 'no'),
the next thing I'd do is to install that package, then try to configure
again.

If it still fails, I'd look at the error messages in the same section of
configure.log and try to figure out the problem. In some cases it's
because, although the header is present, the lib*.a or lib*.la or
lib*.so files aren't; in other cases it's because the header file (etc.)
is of a version which doesn't match what the version of MPlayer you're
compiling expects.

Neither of those is likely to apply with GnuTLS, so all you should need
to do is identify the exact package name which contains the file you're
after, install it, and move forward.

(I used to spend quite a bit of time going through the configure results
that came up as "no" and figuring out what packages I needed to install
to get them to be detected as "yes". I don't bother as much anymore, but
the process is still kind of fun, from my perspective.)

--
   The Wanderer