[MPlayer-users] correct syntax for combining filters

Christian abelschreck3 at freenet.de
Fri Apr 16 15:45:11 EEST 2021

Hi all,

thank you so much for your help. 😁

@The Wanderer:

Am 15.04.21 um 18:48 schrieb The Wanderer:
> I haven't tried this myself, and don't have much experience with using
> filters, but I'd suggest you see what you get from:
>
> mplayer -af
> scaletempo=scale=1.2:speed=pitch,lavcresample=44100,equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:7:7
> -srate 44100 test.wav
>
> My guess is that each time you specified the '-af' option, it was
> overriding the value you set with the previous time, so that in the end
> only the equalizer filter was being applied.

Thanks a lot for the explanation. You´re perfectly right. Your syntax is
*exactly* what I was looking for. It works as desired.
Crisper sound, higher speed and keeping the pitch: all achieved.

I *was* reading the man-pages but still failed to comprehend the right
syntax 😕.

Thanks so much again for your help. It´s highly appreciated.

@Erik:

Thanks for your comments as well.

 > but _video_filters can be combined with commas between individual filters

Good to know.
As I´ve now learnt it works with audio_filters as well.

@Dave:

Hi and thanks,

 > I think each -af overrides the last, which explains why only the eq
seems to be having any effect.

Yes, that´s plausible and it seems that´s exactly what happened using my
original command.

 > If you keep the first filter as -af and then use -af-add for the
following ones it might do want you want.

You´re perfectly right. This option also works as desired.

To sum up: There appear to be two solutions and  those two commands seem
to work equally well:

- *mplayer -af
scaletempo=scale=1.2:speed=pitch,lavcresample=44100,equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:7:7
-srate 44100 test.wav**
*
- *mplayer -af scaletempo=scale=1.2:speed=pitch -srate 44100 -af-add
lavcresample=44100 -af-add equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:7:7 test.wav

*Thanks very much to all of you.
You helped me a great deal.

I need those commands for implementation in TTS-script (text-to-speech)
I wrote. And now I can make it sound much more pleasing for my ears.  😁

Many greetings to you all and keep safe.
Rosika 😁
**