[MPlayer-users] No vf_ commands for -slave?

Dave Wood dave at tty1.uk
Tue Jun 9 02:17:32 EEST 2020

On 09/06/20 01:55,
Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> put forth the proposition:
> To be honest, ideally these would all be replaced by a combination
> of -geometry an -panscan instead.
> You should be able to get the same effect and without all the
> processing.
> Admittedly at those resolutions it might not matter, but filters
> aren't really the right way to do it.
> Well, except maybe vf_dscale.
> I'll admit that calculating the right values to use for -panscan and
> -geometry might be a good bit trickier, depending on use-case.

I do use -geometry to position the window, but I haven't tried to set
the size with it too yet.

> > The result is a profile for each size with `expand' in [general]
> > making black borders.  The top border is big enough to hold the OSD
> > for the time code (that depends on the font scale too though).
> >
> > I'd like to be able to change the `vf' setting via the fifo, to
> > (hopefully) switch window sizes on-the-fly.
>
> My problem is exactly with this:
> "change the vf setting to switch window sizes".
> Why that round-about way? Why not simply changing window sizes?
> Ideally with some existing feature of a window manager, but
> possibly through slave commands.

I'm using fbdev2, so I need to find a way without using window
manager features.  I briefly looked at -panscan in the past, and it
didn't seem very useful for me, but perhaps added to -geometry might
be.

--
Dave