[MPlayer-users] No vf_ commands for -slave?

Kevan Hashemi hashemi at opensourceinstruments.com
Mon Jun 8 18:52:53 EEST 2020

Dear Dave,

> I'm also wondering about using
> the `run' command to start the new slave and then exit.

I just looked up the "run" command in the Slave Console manual. If I understand correctly, you would be using MPlayer to launch the new slave within the local shell. How would you stop that other MPlayer when you decided to change the display dimensions? You would need it's process ID. I probably don't understand.

My guess is that it would be a simple enhancement to the slave mode to get it to respond to scaling commands. I looked through the source code files like vf_scale.c. In vo_kva.c there is a "check_events" routine that looks at the parent window size and re-scales the video to fit the parent window. This turns our to be a Windows-specific file calling WinSetWindowPos, a Win32 routine, to re-scale the video display window within the parent window. But it appears that the routines to scale both video and parent windows exist.

MPlayer Experts: is there anything to stop us from adding a command to the slave mode to do scaling?

Best, Kevan

--
Kevan Hashemi, President
Open Source Instruments Inc.