[MPlayer-users] overlay safe zones

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Sun Jul 19 23:09:11 EEST 2020

On 2020-07-19 at 14:49, muzzol wrote:

> hi,
>
> I need to monitor several streams and I would like to see safe
> zones: https://eks.tv/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Safe_Areas.jpg
>
> is there a way to overlay that on mplayer?

For this, you want a video filter.

The one I specifically remember for doing overlays, from when I was
active in MPlayer, is 'bmovl', for 'bitmap overlay'. The man-page
section on that filter doesn't look especially user-friendly
(significantly less so than I thought I remembered from discussions back
then, in fact), but it doesn't look impossible either.

Googling for 'vf bmovl' (without quotes) finds pages such as
https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/overlay-images-video-using-mplayer-and-mencoder,
which provides a worked example of someone apparently using this in the
real world (albeit apparently back in 2010).

Searching the man page for 'overlay' also finds mention of the
libavfilter filter named 'overlay', which is labeled as experimental and
is apparently meant to overlay one video on top of another video; that
doesn't look as suitable for what you're talking about, but something
could probably be kludged together.

There might be more, but that's all I'm coming up with at the moment.

--
   The Wanderer