[MPlayer-users] MPlayer -priority high -noslices -double -dr options

Bill Crockett wsc4 at optusnet.com.au
Sat Sep 28 03:33:56 EEST 2019

I am using MPlayer to display 1920 x 1080p, 40 Mb/s videos.  AVC x.264.

mplayer -priority high -noslices -double -dr a_video.avi

I did see these options locked in on a few GUIs of MPlayer some years ago.

I always use the "gl" OpenGL video output driver.  The man says: For optimal
speed try adding the options ?dr ?noslices.

-double

Is this option called double buffering, and fixes flicker by storing two
frames in memory, and displaying one while decoding another?  Is it more
efficient?  Do I need it?

-dr

Turns on direct rendering.  This can result in significantly faster blitting
on some systems.

?noslices

Disable drawing video by 16-pixel height slices/bands, instead draws the
whole frame in a single run.

Are these options not really needed for the videos I am using?