[MPlayer-users] SN40 conversion issue

Bill Crockett wsc4 at optusnet.com.au
Fri Oct 18 10:29:34 EEST 2019

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Lee" <kunark629 at hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2019 7:21 AM

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to convert an AVI that contains an SN40 codec to MP4 using
> Mencoder Windows 32-bit.
>
> The command I am using is:
> mencoder input.avi -ovc vfw -xvfwopts codec=SN4Codec.dll -nosound -o
> output.mp4
>
> It loads the codec DLL successfully but then fails right away with
> ICCompressBegin failed: Error -3
>
> Could you tell me what I am missing?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Chris

Encoding with the Video For Windows codec family.

Note that support for this is very experimental and some codecs may not work
correctly.

I tried sn4codec.dll and got the same error.

Using vfw2menc to create a codec settings file does not work also.  The
driver doesn't provide a configure dialog.

vfw2menc -f VP62 -d vp6vfw.dll -s settings.mcf

This did work and opens up a GUI of settings and creates a settings.mcf file
that you use.  You then do this:

mencoder input.avi -ovc vfw -xvfwopts
codec=vp6vfw.dll:compdata=settings.mcf -nosound -o output.avi

I used an AVI container because your MP4 will also be AVI.

Encoding with Video for Windows codecs is mostly obsolete unless you wish to
encode to some obscure fringe codec.

BTW, there is this: