[MPlayer-users] Curious fail playing audio files

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Mar 23 08:43:41 EET 2019

I use MPlayer to play DVD videos.  I also use it to play music from
files on HD using a tcsh shell script with lines like:

    mplayer /path/to/file.wav >& /dev/null

Usually works as expected, playing several files in order.

But sometimes, after playing a DVD video and then running the music
script, mplayer plays one music file but fails to exit and the script
hangs.  Same after each invocation of mplayer in the script, requiring
that mplayer be explicitly killed from the command line after each
piece, after which, music resumes as expected.  Only happens after
*some* DVDs, not with most of them.

Restarting the mixer (aumix) doesn't fix it.  Reverts to correct
behavior on reboot.

Slackware Linux 14.1, AMD-A4 CPU on an acer laptop.

Is there a known fix?  Or should I just write it off as an inscrutable
problem of interaction between the audio and DVD drive hardware,
arcane kernel code or the like?

                                                           /V\