[MPlayer-users] Mplayer on Raspberry Pi Slow To Play Video

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Apr 21 10:12:14 EEST 2019

On 19.04.2019, at 16:46, Paul Gobble <paul at paulgobble.com> wrote:

> pi at octopi:~ $ mplayer -vo fbdev -vf scale=320:240 -framedrop -ao null -msgcolor -prefer-ipv4 -nolirc http://octopi.local:8080/?action=stream <http://octopi.local:8080/?action=stream>
> MPlayer 1.3.0 (Debian), built with gcc-6.2.1 (C) 2000-2016 MPlayer Team
> Playing http://octopi.local:8080/?action=stream <http://octopi.local:8080/?action=stream>.
> Resolving octopi.local for AF_INET...
> Connecting to server octopi.local[10.1.10.253]: 8080...
> Cache size set to 320 KBytes
> Cache fill: 0.00% (0 bytes)
> libavformat version 57.56.101 (external)
> Mismatching header version 57.56.100
> Cache empty, consider increasing -cache and/or -cache-min. [performance issue]
> Cache empty, consider increasing -cache and/or -cache-min. [performance issue]
>
> A lot of time and many, many more lines like this…
>
> Cache empty, consider increasing -cache and/or -cache-min. [performance issue]
> Cache empty, consider increasing -cache and/or -cache-min. [performance issue]
> Stream not seekable!
> Cache empty, consider increasing -cache and/or -cache-min. [performance issue]
> libavformat file format detected.
> Stream not seekable!
> [mjpeg @ 0x75ef6978]Found EOI before any SOF, ignoring

Raw MJPEG is simply a horrible, horrible format.
The fact that it seems to be slightly broken (as per above message) just makes it worse.
If you absolutely need to use MJPEG you need to use some -demuxer +... option to tell MPlayer about the format it is (and maybe in this case also lavfdopts format or such).
If you can provide a sample file we can also check if there's some simple way to improve auto-detection.
But the proper solution is to wrap it an a format designed for streaming. mkv can work, and there are a few others I don't remember just now.