[MPlayer-users] playing DVDs with mplayer×

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Mar 4 10:07:12 EET 2018

On 27.02.2018, at 17:47, Pierre Frenkiel <pierre.frenkiel at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
> I'm trying to play a dvd with mplayer. (OS = Debian Stretch)
> ==> mplayer dvd://
> it crashes with the following output:

>   Exiting... (End of file)

I don't see a crash, it looks like it plays the first title, and that one is only 0.3 seconds long.
Compare with lsdvd.
Not all DVDs will be playable with dvd://, some might need at least dvdnav:// and some will simply not play without much effort due to attempts by the producers to make them unplayable with anything but standalone DVD players.
It often is easier to make a copy, e.g. with makemkv than playing directly (insert joke about the irony of "copy protection" meaning you have to make a copy just to watch it).