[MPlayer-users] What output driver for USB DAC?

John Long codeblue at inbox.lv
Sat Feb 24 22:04:47 EET 2018

On Sat, 2018-02-24 at 16:12 +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 11:06:53AM +0000, John Long wrote:

> > > If it's a DAC then it won't decode the many types of compressed
> > > audio
> > > that mplayer/ffmpeg can.
> >
> > That's ok, it supports everything I need it to play which is DSD
> > and
> > FLAC.
>
> I have some severe doubts about that.
> For it to support FLAC, the playback application would need
> to passthrough FLAC.

And this is what happens. Sorry for not being very clear.

It's not just a DAC. It's a streaming music player that supports DLNA,
FLAC and a bunch of other CODECs over DLNA, and over USB.

It also has a USB DAC. Mplayer doesn't seem to get along with it but I
am pretty sure it's not mplayer itself but some piece of Linux
middleware. Which is how this question started.

> Which means someone needs to standardize a way to signal
> that FLAC is supported for passthrough AND specify a passthrough
> format.
> Considering how rare FLAC is, I really don't think anyone
> has done that.

FLAC is the most popular non-lossy music format. Relatively, it is not
rare.

/jl