[MPlayer-users] Make a clip with subtitles?

Bill Crockett wsc4 at optusnet.com.au
Mon Apr 16 07:20:04 EEST 2018

From: "Miriam English"
To: "MPlayer usage questions, feature requests, bug reports"
<mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2018 8:59 PM

> Sorry about the delay in responding. Been busy.

> Bill Crockett wrote:
>> I can post a brief example of the ffmpeg code to do this
>> (perhaps offlist if it potentially derails the thread).
> I would be interested to see that.  It won't derail.  I have seen many
> references to FFmpeg on the MPlayer and MEncoder mailing list.  They seem
> to prod you to use FFmpeg than MEncoder.

> The following presumes Linux. Other operating systems probably work
> exactly the same, but I haven't tried them.

> Using ffmpeg to hard-code subtitles into a video requires libass
> dependency to be compiled in

Thanks for all your extensive, detailed hard work on this.  I have read both
posts, copied your instructions and will experiment.

To add subtitles to the container is interesting, and I did not know about
that.  This is handy to know because of -vcodec copy and -acodec copy.  I
love those options; no quality loss in re-encoding.

Thanks again,

Bill